Thursday, May 28, 2015

The Hour After Happy Hour

The workshop finished a couple minutes ago, Lot 17 has wifi so I'm still here. The Hour After Happy Hour is a Pittsburgh writing workshop, it started a few years back with a handful of grads who didn't wanna pay for grad school. There were 16 people this time, gender split was 3:1 men. Every week they workshop two writers, fiction or poetry or both, give an hour of analysis to each. Age group is Late 20's - Late 30's, the exception being myself, this time.

It's a friendly group, not without some tension, some people willing to argue and discuss points that are usually resolved with humor. Being here makes me think I have to bone up on my analysis and vocabulary, there was a good level of insight. "The true struggle here isn't the speaker's problems with traffic laws but rather his own judgement of himself" (heavily paraphrased).

I'm going next week... Have to put together 1hr's worth of material for these people... it'll be a nice little introduction. --poetryburgh@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment