Sunday, June 14, 2015

The Pittsburgh Poetry Scene

I have to admit, I've seen very few poets writing exciting poetry in Pittsburgh... this has become a point of infinite trepidation for me. I consider where I could possibly find the kind of poetry I've learned to love, and I can think only of New York. I would not rate myself someone brave enough, or financially secure enough to move to New York, but it's fast becoming my poetry destiny.
Consider HeyEvent searches, over at heyevent.com (an event aggregator):
  "Pittsburgh poetry" pulls 14 events off HeyEvent.
  "Baltimore poetry" pulls 23 events.
  "Philadelphia poetry" pulls 33.
  "New York poetry" pulls 209, including events today, including events tomorrow, including events with poets I already know and love.

It's the [sad] fact that my current challenge, if I want to be true to myself, is not developing an understanding of the PGH Poetry scene. My current challenge is finding a way to move to New York.
--poetryburgh@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment